Anytime is a good time to visit our office for proper evaluation.
Often the only way to detect periodontal disease is though a comprehensive periodontal evaluation. A periodontal evaluation may be especially important if:
- You notice any symptoms of periodontal disease
- You are not satisfied with your current tooth replacement option, such as a bridge or denture and may interested dental implants
- You are pregnant or thinking about becoming pregnant. Pregnant women with periodontal disease are seven times more likely to have a baby born too early and too small. Also, due to hormonal changes, pregnant women can experience “pregnancy gingivitis.” However, women with a history of excellent oral health prior to pregnancy are very unlikely to experience this condition during their pregnancy.
- You feel your teeth are too short or your smile is too “gummy”. Or, if you have a missing tooth and are interested in a long term lasting replacement option.
- You have a family member with periodontal disease. Research suggests that periodontal disease can pass through saliva.
- You have heart disease, diabetes, respiratory disease or osteoporosis. Ongoing studies show that periodontal disease may be linked to these conditions. Bacteria from periodontal disease can travel into the blood stream and pose a threat to the systemic health of your entire body. Healthy gums may lead to a healthier body. Learn about gum disease prevention.